The ingredients you may use and how the benefit:
- Olive oil: This oil helps to soothe and heal dry skin. With its UV protection abilities, Olive oil works as a cleanser, moisturizer, and protector of skin.
- Sweet Almond Oil: The most popular oil for skincare. It is nutrient-rich and is suitable for all skin types. It is an absorbent oil while leaving little residue.
- Coconut Oil: This oil provides comfort to those chapped lips. It is an excellent moisturizer and will soften the skin.
- Shea Butter: This cream-colored plant butter is prized for its deep moisturizing and skin conditioning properties, and also provides natural protection from harmful UV rays.
- Cocoa Butter: It is high in fatty acids and will deeply hydrate your skin. It is excellent for sensitive skin.
- Beeswax: Bees process honey from nectar and then convert it into wax (one pound of wax is made from each ten pounds of honey). It makes an excellent bacteria-resistant base for cosmetics. This is the hardener you will need for your balms. It will help prevent your balms from melting when placed in warmer areas.
This is a very basic list of oils and butters offered by Brushy Mountain Bee Farm. There are a wide range of ingredients, each offering a distinct advantage. Here are some additional oils and butters you may use:
- Apricot Kernel Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Canola Oil
- Coconut OilS
- Castor Oil
- Sunflower Oil
- Coffee Butter
- Hempseed Oil
- Mango Butter
- Safflower Oil
- Soybean Oil
- Animal Fat instead of oil
Choosing the right mold:
- Loaf Mold: Loaf molds can be made from any structurally sound material and range in all sizes. A lining is required when using material (metal or wood) other than silicone. Loaf molds offer the opportunity for intricate layering and complex swirling. The joy comes when cutting apart each bar to see the end design.
- Slab Molds: Also known as horizontal mold, slab molds have a larger cavity for volume production. Pour your base and add chunks of hardened soaps for an unique end product.
- Silicone Molds: Silicone molds, like those used in baking, are a simple way to create shapes of your desire. They require no lining and make unmolding easy. Keep your temperatures low when using silicone or you may find pock marks.
- Specialty Molds:Made from heavy-duty plastic, specialty molds range in cavity size and design. They can be individual bars or produce a sectioned slab for you to later cut.