Once you start making your own hand-crafted balms you may want to begin exploring with other ingredients. Adding essential oils to balms will not only add a certain aroma but gives the balm a unique taste. Essential oils are very concentrated liquids that can be harmful if used improperly. Always dilute the essential oils in the lip balm before applying to the skin. To tint you lip balms, add lipstick shaving to the batch and stir to combine. Adding more shavings will increase the intensity of the color. Start with a small amount and add more until color is reached. Include liquid vitamins to increase the nourishing value of your balms. Experiment with different ingredient and amounts used until you have perfect your lip balms.
- Containers to put the lip balm in.
- - Tubes are the most common but you may use any style container.
- Measuring Spoons
- Small Saucepan
- Pouring Pitcher (small enough to fit in small saucepan)
- Wooden Stir Stick
- Shea Butter Butter (cocoa butter can be used as an alternative)
- Sweet Almond Oil (other oils may be used)
- Essential Oil and Colorant (optional)
Before you begin: Wash the containers you will be pouring lip balm into. Dry them thoroughly and set aside for further use.
- 1. Fill a small saucepan with 1 inch of water, and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium.
- 2. Set the pouring pitcher with combined ingredients into the pot (the water should be below the rim of the pitcher) and stir the mixture using a wooden stir stick until all of the wax and shea butter has melted.
- 3. Remove the pitcher from the pot and add ¼ teaspoon of essential oil for fragrance and flavor. Stir thoroughly combining oil with other ingredients. Add more essential oil for stronger flavors or mix and match different essential oils for a variety of flavors.
- 4. To tint your lip balm, add lipstick shavings to the jar and stir to combine, adding more lipstick until desired color is achieved.
- 5. Carefully pour the melted lip balm into your tubes/containers(use caution as lip balm is hot). Fill each container to the rim. An additional drop of lip balm can be added to the containers to prevent settling holes that may occur in the center of the lip balm as it cools.
- 6. Allow the lip balm to harden without disturbing for 20 minutes. Apply to lips once the lip balm has cooled.